Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Why Blog?

Why am I wasting my time blogging for maybe 2 people to read? Maybe this will be a place where I can vent that doesn't involve my wife. Maybe I can speak freely without the chance of people actually hearing me. Let me start by saying I am a normal, adult male. WOW...what a revelation. I know. Some of you thought so much higher of me. You were expecting some high, lofty, eloquent blog about spirituality and faith and you would leave feeling like you just read a book by Max Lucado. Sorry...
Instead, I want a forum where I can be honest and speak my mind. Being a Christian, that is a rare thing. My friend John once started a youth ministry and titled it "Real Life." The problem is that most church-goers and "Christians" are some of the least real people you will ever meet. They show up on Sundays (and maybe Wednesdays) and they put on their best outfits and paint on their best faces and offer up the right hand of fellowship to whomever will allow it. We come to church and clam-up rather than open-up. We are afraid to allow others to know that our lives are as screwed-up as theirs. I know that I spent most of my youth thinking my youth pastor had it all together until I was old enough to ask and found out that he struggled with the same stuff that I did. After my mom passed, I was having a tough time dealing with it and went to the doc for some Zoloft-flavored candy. I thought I was weak, cause nobody that I knew was on meds because they were stressed. Imagine my surprise to find out how many others were able to participate in a conversation about their favorite anti-depressant once they heard me mention that I was on them. Why did we not have this conversation while I was worrying about worrying?
BACK TO THE POINT...I want to use this as a place where I, as an average Christian, can speak my mind. Share my doubts. Vent my frustrations. Allow you, whoever you may be, to see that you aren't alone. I don't know where this may go, but hold on because I can assure you it will be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment