Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Don't Grow Weary...

You know, I have heard this verse hundreds of times before: "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." Gal 6:9 (NKJV). I did just that it seemed for so long. In high school, I never drank, did drugs, fooled around...I don't have a testimony of being "bad" as a teenager. I never went through a rough spell. I didn't even hang around folks that did. I went to college and immediately into student ministry. I made it through college (6.5 years total) and never really committed any more indescretions than I had in high school. I never chose to sow any wild oats. Instead, I studied and worked with teenagers. I never even had a drink until I was 26 - the night before my wedding day (which was also a day of firsts!).
I don't really know how to say this, but I have grown weary of doing (and being) good-ish. I spent more than a decade working with students in the ministry, but felt as much frustration as I did completion. Don't get me wrong, I haven't joined Hell's Angels or anything, but I am tired. I don't know what it "was like" to live that life that I hear about from others. It isn't that I want to be bad or see how many of the 7 deadly sins I can commit in one weekend, but it is more of an apathy that I feel (and a curiosity). With my pastor potentially reading this, I don't want to give the impression that I am out drinking, cussing, or hanging out in dives full-time. I also want to make it known that there is not any alcohol in our home and I would only have the occasional drink when not around my kids. I am glad that I grew up in a home away from all of that.
I just spent so many years as the role-model student minister, I just want a break - I am weary. I will save many of the student minister stories for another time.

SO....here is what I am getting at: Have you ever felt the same? Did you grow up isolated from those elements of society to only wonder what it was all about later in life? How guilty should I feel about ordering a 'rita here or there? What do you do when you just don't care? I feel that I may fit in to the role of salt that is losing its saltiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment